Friday, July 21, 2006

Chalk Hill, Pennsylvania. 365 miles.

I've made a big (by my snail's-pace pedestrian standards) detour back into Pennsylvania.

Jayne and I used to have a calendar on our wall showing Fallingwater, the house built by Frank Lloyd Wright for department store magnate Edgar J. Kauffmann in 1935. We always said we'd like to see it some day, so I've finally fulfilled an ambition. And it was well worth the effort.

Wright practised organic architecture, designing buildings that harmonised with, rather than dominated, the natural environment. Fallingwater cascades down the side of a hill, a series of sandstone walls and cantilevered concrete platforms bestriding a tumbling stream and surrounded by dense forest. It's rightly regarded as one of the greatest private residences of the twentieth century, and was way ahead of its time.



On a more prosaic note, this is Norm and Marg Westwood. I wandered into the tiny town of Addison, PA, and met Norm in the street. I asked him if there was anywhere to stay in town, and he and Marg made a flurry of phone calls to find out. There was one B & B, but the owner wanted me out at 6.30 am, so they said come and stay with us.

We sat on the deck of their beautiful house, putting the world to rights over a beer and watching the sun go down. They are delightful, witty people and I want to thank them for their hospitality.



And on a very prosaic note indeed, I have a problem with my feet: one of my shins hurts a lot, and slowed me down to a crawl this afternoon. My only worry about this walk is that something will go wrong physically and stop me from finishing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and cutting down my mileage for a few days.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,
Been watching your progress on this site since you appeared in Exton PA! So glad to see you are still enjoying the journey. Glad you got to fulfill a goal. Please take care of yourself, American Doctor's don't bite and don't insist on you signing all your assests before you see em.. so get checked and look after yourself and you will make it.. we're all routing for you.

11:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home