Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Bexley, Ohio. 549 miles.

My favourite person of the week is someone I've never met. I don't know who she is or where she lives, but her name is Candis Roberts. She visited my Justgiving website, calculated that I needed £99.66 to achieve my £10,000 goal, and donated precisely that amount. I like her because her generosity is equalled only by her sense of humour.

Candis - if you're reading this, please phone or email so I can thank you properly for helping me to achieve this milestone. Meanwhile, I've upped my target to £12,000 ($22,700), which I hope is not too optimistic.

Bexley is a posh district of Columbus - the governor of Ohio lives here, and so does the city's mayor - named after the nondescript south London suburb just a few miles from where I live.

I'm still following route 40 after more than 250 miles, and it's been very strange over the past 24 hours to see it evolve from a relatively sleepy cornfield-lined two-lane country road into the main street of a metropolitan area that's home to 1.7 million people.

This is my first big city since New York, and I must confess to a sneaking enjoyment of the eight miles of strip mall-land I passed through today - unlike the cornfields, there's always something going on to make the time pass more quickly. And while I'm no great fan of Starbucks' bid for global domination, I couldn't resist nipping into their first branch since New York for an espresso.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First Wal-Mart, now Starbucks. You'll be admitting you scoffed a Big Mac next. It's a slippery slope....

7:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you stopping in London Ohio? I would love to hear your observations on "our London." Good luck.

Maureen

8:56 am  
Blogger Phil said...

No, no Big Macs, I promise. And yes, Maureen, I'll probably pass through London. Then I'll be able to say I walked from California to London without getting my feet wet.

9:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you coming down to Fort Worth? We would love to show you our beautiful city.

Loretta

8:59 am  
Blogger Phil said...

I probably won't be going through Texas as the distances between towns are so great - though I've already found out on this trip that anything can happen. So thanks for your kind invitation.

11:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home