Thursday, August 10, 2006

Norwich, Ohio. 490 miles.

From one East Anglian city to another - though the locals very sensibly pronounce it Nor-Witch.* And talking of placenames, barring an encounter with a runaway truck I should be in Zanesville tomorrow. This is only the third place I've ever been to that begins with a Z, the others being Zurich, Switzerland and Ziguinchor, Senegal.

Absolutely nothing happened today, which is why I'm boring you with this trivia. I wrote my blog in a motel, walked 14 miles in an almost perfectly straight line and wrote my blog in another motel.

Actually, it's not totally true that nothing happened. I received a hugely generous £1,000 donation from the UK stationery chain John Menzies, leaving me a mere whisker away from my £10,000 target. It seemed such an impossibly large amount when I arbitrarily set it less than four months ago, and I remember wondering whether I'd even come close. Anyway, I've increased it to £12,000 (about $23,000), and if you haven't donated yet and would like to, please visit www.justgiving.com/uswalk. And thank you so much to everyone that has.

Yesterday was a one-day record for me, at 24 miles. This was due not to a burst of superhuman energy, but to my determination not to spend a second miserable night in the tent, even though the nearest motel was 24 miles away.

*Back home, it rhymes with porridge.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,
Who says Nor'Witch doesn't rhymn with Por-tich American style! lol.

490 miles, amazing. Glad to see the fundraising is going so well also.

Keep on forward, the adventures lie ahead..
Alison.

8:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home