Thursday, August 17, 2006

Columbus, Ohio. 554 miles.

Some useful statistics. Well, sort of.
  • Car crashes witnessed: 1
  • TV interviews: 1
  • Times told off by police officers for walking on interstate: 1
  • Times walked on interstate without being spotted by police officers: 1
  • Radio interviews: 2
  • Dogs that haven't barked at me: 3 (but one of these was Maxy, who's so clever he must be Albert Einstein reincarnated in canine form)
  • Autographs signed: 4 (but one of these was "in case you get famous")
  • Consumption of Subway Foot-Long Veggie Delites on wheat bread with pepper jack cheese, all the veggies and lite mayonnaise: 7 (I have a rule that if I'm hungry and I go past a Subway, I eat one. I don't know why, because I'm getting fed up with them. It's a bit like Supersize Me, but without the trans fatty acids)
  • Nights in tent: 9
  • Nights in people's homes: 11
  • Newspaper interviews: 18
  • Nights in motels: 34
  • Dogs that have barked at me: approx. 150
  • People walking or cycling across America at any one time: approx. 1 million. This figure was extrapolated by my brother Nigel based on the number of people I've met who are doing a similar thing, the population of the US, and the number of possible routes across the country. He doesn't have any statistical qualifications that I know of, and I think he may have added a few extra zeroes by mistake.
  • Approximate number of steps taken: 1,329,600
And some thankyous...
to Shirley Haynes, John and Shirley Vingle, Diane and Ted Mueller, and Dan, Mim, Logan and Emma Halterman, for all your generous hospitality.

1 Comments:

Blogger annapolisirish said...

Hi Phil,
Still checking on your progress. Don't leave us in suspense.. more details on the car crash/tv interview etc.... come one we want the dirt! Don't you know the rest of us have no life so we want daily blogs!! lol.

Keep safe,
catch a hug, Alison

4:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home